Rum Running Yarmouth Nova Scotia page. 7
Rum Running part - 7
14. One fellow from the shore, wanted to get married. He looked in the Sears catalogue
where he saw a girl in a dress, he ordered her. All that came was the dress and he
couldn't understand where the girl was. He was not too bright.
15. One fellow in town was an awful pest and always begged for food and money. One
time a few fellows came back from rabbit hunting and were eating rabbit stew and
he barged in and had two helpings of stew. It was decided to play a trick on Jim
and so they killed two old tom cats and boiled them. He was invited to what he
thought was rabbit stew and ate to his hearts content remarking this is the bast stew
he had ever had.
16. One old fellow who worked in a lumber camp told me how it was a shack made of
tar paper and the men slept in bunks and never had much chance to wash. Well this
fellow used his shirt for a pillow and when he woke up the next morning, he found a
mouse in the pocket of the shirt plus the babies it had.
17. This fellow had a business in town somewhere close to the town jail. Now
what business he had was not much and everyone wondered how he could live.
One afternoon he was found lying on the floor by a policeman he was helped up and
put on a cot. Upon opening a cot it was found there was a false compartment in which corn liquor
was stored. His sister had a baby carriage with a doll in it and she pushed it all over
town delivering boo's to customers.
18. During the hard times there was not enough money to always pay the rent. One
woman said they moved so much that she could not always find her way home. Her
brother had to go get her after school and bring her home.
19. One milkman who delivered milk by horse and buggy did things a bit differently.
He painted milk bottles white which were full of liquor, so he would know which
bottles to deliver to his customers.
Next Page click here.
Previous Page click Here.
Go to Home.